The Skating Club of Boston, an equal opportunity employer, maintains a long-standing policy of non-discriminatory hiring and employment practices. The Club affirms that it does not discriminate in hiring or any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religious preference, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran/military status, participation in any group insurance plan, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected by law.
A small, but growing nonprofit skating club seeks a talented, hands-on and motivated individual with a strong accounting background to join our organization. This is a terrific opportunity for someone who enjoys new ventures and wants to be part of an organization that values its team members. The organization has just opened a three-rink figure skating facility in Norwood, with an established management team that has an aggressive 5-year growth plan for its success and ongoing leadership in its area of expertise.
We are currently hiring for the following full-time position:
Job Title: Assistant Controller
Reports to: Director of Finance & Business Administration
The successful candidate will be an experienced accounting professional with knowledge of GAAP and who has the ability to work independently while delivering quality outcomes. You will be excited about collaborating with Club team members to further the Club’s mission of advancing participation, education and excellence in skating for people of all ages, abilities, and means. You will be able to pivot and prioritize from one role to another, while helping to oversee all accounting functions.
The Assistant Controller will have strong technical, analytical, communication and organizational skills, with a keen attention to detail and current knowledge of GAAP. This position is responsible for managing procedures and controls for all financial systems to include accurately and properly managing all bill paying and revenue tracking from multiple profit centers. You will assist with monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports (such as Month End, Quarter End, etc.) and budget preparation and review of variances.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Process weekly payables and manage vendor relationships. Maintain open invoice files, manage all online vendor accounts and auto drafts, expense form updates, and prepare year end 1099s.
- Reconcile company credit card account statements and payments, and enter into Financial Edge. Work with department heads to troubleshoot credit card variances and discrepancies.
- Administer and coordinate daily banking operations. Manage and monitor accounts receivable balances monthly, and assist with collections of member accounts.
- Lead cash receipts operations for multiple Point of Sale products (Square, Stripe, Beanstream, Salsa), and locations.
- File monthly sales tax returns and monitor tax compliance
- Maintain depreciation schedule
- Prepare and post monthly journal entries (prepaids, deferred revenue, accrued expenses, depreciation).
- Produce weekly dashboard, and assist with Month, Quarter, and Year-End financial reports.
- Assist Director of Finance with audit and budget preparation.
- B.A. in Accounting and 3-5 years’ experience in accounting or related field
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and non-profit industry
- Strong organizational and detail management skills with an ability to prioritize and organize workload
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with stakeholders in a kind and respectful way
- Proficiency in Excel, MS Office, dropbox, and accounting software (Financial Edge)
- Able to effectively identify and utilize available resources to achieve goals
Work Schedule and Benefits:
- This is an exempt, full time, 40 hrs per week Monday – Friday position, some periodic after hours or weekend work may be required
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Work is expected to be performed on site at our Norwood location
- 11 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, sick and health insurance benefits
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and a copy of your resume to email@example.com.
Job Title: Office Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Club Manager and Assistant Club Manager
The Skating Club of Boston is a founding member of U.S. Figure Skating and a primary center for high performance training and recreational skating in the United States. The Office Coordinator position is an important initial point of contact for Club members, professional coaches, athletes, board members, and visitors. The Club has recently opened a brand new 3-rink facility in Norwood, MA which is open all 7 days of the week from 5:30AM until 10PM in the evening. The Office Coordinator position will include evening shifts and at least one weekend shift, with some schedule flexibility available.
The ideal candidate is an energetic professional who is motivated, organized and conscientious, and who can work with and without close supervision. This is an excellent opportunity for a professional to gain first-hand knowledge of customer service and administrative management in a fast-paced and inspiring environment.
- Greet Club members and visitors
- Checking-in and processing payments for athletes and coaches
- Manage incoming calls, letters, and Club email account
- Maintain databases, files, record systems, office supplies and equipment
- Assist with the preparation of materials for board meetings, special projects and mailings
- Support the Club Director, Associate Club Manager, and Assistant Club Manager with the planning and execution of member dinners and special events
- An independent self-starter with a professional attitude and calm demeanor
- A flexible manner with a positive, customer-service oriented attitude
- Proficient in, or able to quickly learn, Word, Excel, Dropbox and ActiveNet
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and pride in work
- Reliable transportation
- Full-Time: 32-40 hours/week